What A Fine Finish is About . . .
I'm Katie Fitzgerald, founder and artist-at-large behind A Fine Finish Decorative Art. You are a design professional or home enthusiast looking for discerning, artistic solutions.
My goal is to be your creative and reliable resource for adding decorative surface treatments that take your project to a rarified level of opulence.
In other words, I make spaces jaw-droppingly gorgeous.
Have you wondered:
- What innovative design options can I offer my clients that my competitors might not even know about?
- How can I add discriminating beauty and uniqueness to my home and create an environment in which I love to luxuriate?
- What will tell me if an artist provides an exceptional level of service and professionalism?
- How can I learn about the myriad of possibilities decorative art has to offer?
If so, you'll find answers and inspiration here and in my An Artistic Home articles.
How A Fine Finish Helps the Professional and Home Enthusiast
I believe everyone should passionately love where they live and the places where they spend time. As a design professional or enthusiast, I know you do too. But many people involved in design are only vaguely aware of decorative art and the possibilities for creating stunning finishes, or how decorative art can solve design problems.
In addition to my artistic training, I have training in interior design specifically so I can work efficiently with you. Having a decorative artist in your pocket means you have options and solutions that simply aren't available to others.
Simply stated for professionals, I broaden what you can offer your clients, who rely on your professional judgment, and enhance your standing as a knowledgeable and connected professional.
"Katie and her decorative art are a wonderful resource for interior designers and their clients."
– Sharon Kasser, interior design instructor
"A Fine Finish Decorative Art of Santa Cruz County has been awarded 'Best Of Houzz' . . . for customer satisfaction . . . by Houzz, the leading platform for home remodeling and design. A Fine Finish was chosen by the more than 16 million monthly users that comprise the Houzz community."
– Press release by Houzz.com
"Working with Katie was an amazing experience that I would encourage others to have. . . [She] is a consummate professional, . . . personable and yet respectful. . . Our space was transformed into a real work of art and our customers and visitors LOVE it!"
– Jamie, Drapery Enterprises Showroom
About Katie Fitzgerald, Decorative Artist
Katie Fitzgerald has pursued the arts her entire life, including writing her first rather bad novel at the precocious age of 13. Katie created finishes on her own until she discovered the decorative arts industry. She proclaimed: "That's what I want to do!" and gave up a stodgy Silicon Valley job to pursue decorative finishes, which culminated in the founding of A Fine Finish in 2007.
Having been a Girl Scout from Brownies on, a believer in the "Win-Win" style of business, and more recently as a mom, Katie believes in leaving someplace better than she found it. This of course means designing and creating exclusive artistic finishes that clients will enjoy for years to come.
Katie has worked on one-day projects with budgets of hundreds of dollars to three-month projects in the tens-of-thousands of dollars — it's all a matter of structure and organization. With a Masters Certificate in Project Management and additional training in interior design, Katie has a skill combination unique in the decorative art field to back-up her business and your project ideals.
Training and education are also an important part of the business, from speaking to interior design students and teaching art classes to furthering her own art education.
Katie lives and works in Felton, California in the Santa Cruz mountains with her husband Duff, daughter Claire, son Duncan, the aged-and-entitled Cyrano the cat, and Kohl the wonder-puppy.
- Repeated guest speaker to interior design students at Canada College and the UCSC extension design programs.
- Contributing author to The American Painting Contractor Magazine "Heart of Faux" column.
- Author of An Artistic Home articles.
- Author of numerous articles published in Artisphere, the industry magazine of the International Decorative Artisans League.
- Featured artist in Faux Forum's monthly highlight releases.
Katie was mentored by muralist and former president of the International Decorative Artisans League (IDAL), Amy Ketteran. She has studied with internationally renowned decorative artists: Pierre Finkelstein, Lynne Rutter, Tania Seabock, Shauna Gallagher, and others.
- Training in Interior Design at the University of California at Santa Cruz
- Masters Certificate in Project Management from George Washington University
- Bachelor of Arts from the University of California at Irvine
- Previous small business owner
- Twenty years as a professional writer
You can benefit from all this experience for free through An Artistic Home articles. Just click "Sign Me Up!"